Re: Bye bye Itanium and HP-UX?

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:28:28 +0000

Having lived through the end-of-life of Oracle on Tru64, my suggestion would be, "Don't walk, run from Itanium".

If it pans out the same way as Alpha, patches will take ages to be released (if ever) and support won't have any kit to test your issues on. Despite Oracle's commitment to support existing customers, it will quickly become an usable platform for all but the most stable Oracle installations.

I waited 15 months for one patch to be released, then left the company. I'm not sure if the fix was ever released.

I kept getting emails from managers asking why security patches hadn't been applied. The problem was the patches were dependent on patchsets that were over 1 year late.

Call me skeptical, but I would start planning your hardware move as soon as possible.

Cheers

Tim...