How to increase ASM disk space on Linux using udev instead of ASMLib.

From: David Robillard <david.robillard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 15:40:24 -0400

Hello listers,

In a past thread [1] we discussed the pros and cons of ASMLib vs. udev on Linux. One problem with udev was the apparent difficulty to add a new LUN to an existing ASM diskgroup.
So I wrote a blog post which explains exactly how to do this.

http://itdavid.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-increase-disk-space-in-existing.html

It's a shameless plug of course :) But if it can help others, then it's good.

The post is using iSCSI disks, but the udev portion should be similar using either FC or SRP (i.e. InfiniBand) disks.

Comments are most welcome!

HTH, David

[1] http://www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/High-Availability-Options