RE: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

From: Uzzell, Stephan <SUzzell_at_MICROS.COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 13:11:16 +0000

But if there are no records in the table, I'm doubting that is the case here.

I agree with what's been said so far - check the trace files. Also, if this is just a table, perhaps worth doing an analyze table restrizione validate structure cascade;

Stephan Uzzell

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Sheehan, Jeremy Sent: Tuesday, 22 March, 2011 09:08
To: niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com; jose.soares_at_sferacarta.com Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: RE: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

We saw this before when invalid data got entered into a field. There was a number field that somehow had a special character entered and every time the field was queried it gave us this error. Took all night to figure out.

Jeremy

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:50 AM
To: jose.soares_at_sferacarta.com
Cc: ORACLE-L

ORA-03113 means your session and the server process have stopped talking. This shouldn't happen in your situation. Of course if you have further complications (like it's not a table but a complex view, or there's a VPD function or....) then there maybe a specifc bug/issue that you hit. In either case the trace files mentioned earlier should give you more info

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:08 AM, jo <jose.soares_at_sferacarta.com<mailto:jose.soares_at_sferacarta.com>> wrote: Hi all,

Does someone know what this error mean?
"end-of-file on communication channel"

I have the following table, with no rows stored:

name | data_type | nullable | data_default | data_length
--------------- + --------- + -------- + ------------- + -----------

COD_MALATTIA    | NVARCHAR2 | Y        | NULL          | 20
COD_MATRICE     | NVARCHAR2 | Y        | NULL          | 20
COD_NAZIONE     | NVARCHAR2 | Y        | NULL          | 6
DATA_FINE       | DATE      | Y        | NULL          | 11
DATA_INIZIO     | DATE      | N        | CURRENT_DATE  | 11
ID              | NUMBER    | N        | NULL          | 38
ID_MACELLAZIONE | NUMBER    | N        | NULL          | 38

I tried these queries:

select count(*) from restrizione where COD_MALATTIA is not null count(*)

0

select count(*) from restrizione where COD_MATRICE is not null count(*)

0

select count(*) from restrizione where COD_NAZIONE is not null count(*)

0

select count(*) from restrizione where DATA_INIZIO is not null count(*)

0

select count(*) from restrizione where ID is not null count(*)

0

select count(*) from restrizione where ID_MACELLAZIONE is not null count(*)

0

select count(*) from restrizione
count(*)

0

but this one raises the error

select count(*) from restrizione where DATA_FINE is not null ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

Only when I use DATA_FINE column in the WHERE clause it raise the error. what's wrong with this column?

Thanks for any help.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info