Satisfying MOSS answer using hints ?

From: Michael Seiwert <Michael.Seiwert_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:37:05 +0100

Hi all,

I'm not sure if I should be satisfied with an answer from MOSS regarding the applying of the following hints in our application to reduce parse time due to high cpu usage ?

*+ OPT_PARAM('_new_initial_join_orders' 'FALSE') OPT_PARAM('_optimizer_cost_based_transformation' 'OFF') OPT_PARAM('_no_or_expansion' 'true') */

Background:

In our application we have a view which encapsulates eight other complex views via UNION ALL. The views have lots of objects involved and they contain several OR conditions. If I call the top view without the above hinting statement tkprof tells me a parsing time of 192 seconds. After applying the above hints the parse time reduces to 2 seconds.

I have a bad feeling setting this hints as they contain undocumented parameters. For me it seems that they seem to cover some ugly bugs ?

If you do need some detailed information regarding the views please let me know.

Please let me know what you think ?

Very best regards

Michael