RE: Replacement for aged SunFire v490 servers

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:38:58 -0700

I haven’t checked prices recently, but last time I checked, you could save a lot of money by buying Dell instead unless you’re getting some special deal from Sun or IBM. I haven’t checked the specs of a v490, but I can tell you we migrated from a V440 to a T2000 and had horrible performance (well known issue there – google for details) so then we migrated to a Dell 2950 with one quad-core 3.33ghz Xeon X5470 (running Oracle Linux) and performance was great compared to both the T2000 and V440. That was a couple years ago so the latest Dell servers are even faster with the Nehalem processors or whatever the latest and greatest is today. No, I don’t work for Dell, just a happy customer ☺

Regards,
Brandon