RE: Performance issue with locking which appears to be fixed by increasing system tablespace.

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:19:43 -0400

What Gaja wrote seems right to me. I suppose if the LGNCC_LOCK table was IN the system tablespace and the holder of the row lock was trying to expand the row such that it was trying to migrate to a new block that required space that did not exist and it was waiting for more space to be available, then a whole pileup of others wanting that row could burn a lot of wait in parallel waiting versus the one waiting for space, so it wouldn't show up. But I'm grasping at straws with that, trying to think of ANY reason why increasing the system tablespace would alleviate the problem. That is the only corner case I can think of and I'm not sure whether that would throw something else obvious into the report.

So Gaja is probably dead bang on. And problems that go away by themselves come back by themselves.

Oh, did the DBA bounce everyone out to increase the SYSTEM tablespace (whether or not he had to), so the problem had to recur from ground zero? Just not reaching a level of concurrency (YET) that drives the problem matches that action as well (as for any reason to have everyone stop working for a while tends to temporarily eliminate contention issues.).