Re: NLS case insensitive in real life

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 09:15:57 -0500 (CDT)

> A few days ago I was in seminar by Richard Foote, so now I know a bit
> about them :)
> Actually these are quite interesting and promising features BUT the
> limitations as of today are killing them.
> You can use only one at once - either these linguistic indexes or good
> old binary indexes. So in case you have already running DB with normal
> indexes you have to either all time switch with alter sessions or
> recreate all existing indexes. And if you need both of them in ONE
> QUERY, then no way at all. Don't think that any of this scenario is
> possible in something more than trivial DB or APP.

Any thoughts about creating a Text (nee "context") index? I used them in 9i to index part descriptions and it worked very well, with a few caveats:

  • The indexes are not updated automatically.
  • To utilize them, the CONTAINS function must be used in a SELECT.
  • A little research needs to be done to make sure the lexer is properly setup for your particular needs.

Just another idea...

Rich