RE: Backup Checklist

From: <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:20:38 -0400

Whoa, :) Just for another .02Ç To try and condense and simplify all the recommendations:

Have the sysadmin backup the oracle software directory which includes, (on Solaris), the oraInventory, admin directories, tnsnames, oratab alert_logs, listener, pfile etc. (On 11g, the diag directory). (These can be recreated, and actually the controlfile and spfile are backed up by rman, or should be).

However, as part of my backup script I also add, for convenience, a copy of the init file, password file, and spfile. Also a backup trace controlfile in the log directory along with the rman logs.

The init, password, and spfile get overwritten each time in the backup directory, and I make sure I only keep 30 days or less in the log directory - where I need to purge what RMAN does not. It actually is easier a lot of the time to just copy these three files instead of retrieving them from the backup, and the trace controlfile is also available... perhaps not for a restore, but for moving say the database to another file structure or whatever. It's already available for any task you wish, nice when the database is down anyway.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 727-2546

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Howard Latham Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 11:19 AM
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: Backup Checklist

Does anyone have a backup checklist for Oracle Files not held in the database that wont get backed up by RMAN.

Eg
Oratab
tnsnames.ora
listener.ora