Re: Interviewing experiences with novice interviewers

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 14:39:08 -0300

A good read, if only for a laugh:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ericlippert/archive/2011/02/14/what-would-feynman-do.aspx

Well, generally speaking, if a non-dba interviews a prospective DBA it means that there probably isn't a qualified DBA to ask the questions or that they are 'much too busy'. Either situation doesn't seem like an Idea working environment. I would instead ask to meet with the DBA team to see if they are worth working with. From personal experience, the technical interview in very large companies usually means very little. When I interviewed for IBM I answered every question correctly and included all the usual stuff they like (documentation, communication, processes, etc) They still told me I was a Semi-SR. I took the job anyway (the pay was better and I needed the money at the time) and later became friends with the guy that interviewed me and he told me that his boss had ordered him to never say anyone was 'Sr'. The reasons behind that are unimportant, but I was a little annoyed when I found out that I was earning the same as people who couldn't deal with a simple database restore... (One of the many reasons I left IBM for...)

I guess my answer is that you should probably ask yourself if that's really the company you want to work for (assuming you have the luxury of turning down a job).

Now as to ways to handle the interviewers, if they come out and tell you that they are not Oracle experts, then ask whether you will be given a technical interview by a DBA, and try to use short answers, don't be afraid to throw in some technical term or shorthand DBAs may use and ask if they'd like you to explain the concepts to them as you introduce them. Avoid any areas you may have trouble with... and throw in some buzz word now and again. (24x7, High Availability, reliability, performance, documentation).

hth
Alan.-