NLS question

From: Michael Schmitt <mschmitt_at_uchicago.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 15:53:39 -0600

Hi All,

I had a quick question on the NLS configuration that I was hoping someone could help me out with

Oracle 11.2 database with NLS_CHARACTERSET=US7ASCII and NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET=AL16UTF16

Developer creates a table with nvarchar2(1000) column and tries to insert a ó into that column.

Create table my_table(col1 nvarchar2(1000)); Insert into my_table values ('Acadó');

SQL> select * from my_table;
COL1

Acad?

I was thinking this might be a session issue, but was not sure what I should have their client set NLS_LANG too. If I set NLS_LANG to AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252 in the session I get a different result, but not exactly the one I am looking for

SQL> select * from my_table;
COL1

Acado

Any help would be appreciated