RMAN - 11g Full backup Times

From: Patty Vonick <patty.vonick_at_returnpath.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 10:33:31 -0700

Hi all,

We have an 11.2.0.1 database which is about 2T in size, and generates 700k of redo per second. We're running on Sun/Oracle SPARC 64-bit - v10.

Any estimates as to how long an RMAN incremental level-0 (full) backup might take to run - say when backed-up to a local mount and/or to an NFS mount? Right now, we're allocating 8 channels.

Also - has anyone experienced a significant decrease in RMAN backup I/O throughput after upgrading from 10g to 11g - resulting in backups taking 2-3x longer than before the upgrade? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.