Simple PL/SQL output question

From: Dennis Williams <>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 09:43:08 -0600

I recently wrote a SQL script containing a PL/SQL anonymous block. I used DBMS_OUTPUT to sent results to the screen. This worked fine when I copied and pasted the script into a SQL*Plus session. However, when I just hit "r" to rerun the script, I noticed that it produced no output. Later I passed this to a user who ran it using Toad and got no output. Can anybody tell me what (isn't) going on?

The reason I used PL/SQL in this manner is that I needed more logic than SQL itself could provide. In our environment, creating database objects requires a lot of red tape, but we have a read-only account that can be used to run queries or ad-hoc scripts.

Dennis Williams