Re: should I analyze system statistics on ORACLE 10GR2?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 08:04:43 +0000

Hi

It seems to me that 2 things are being confused in the replies here.

The quote that dba1 mcc refers to is specifically about system statistics (better referred to as the CPU costing model) where statistics about the capability of the underlying hardware are used to modify the cost calculations that the optimizer users to calculate the optimal execution plan. These are different from object statistics which are the information about database objects that the CBO uses to calculate optimal execution plans. Specifically object statistics for the SYS schema are not "system statistics" but a special case of object statistics. Object statistics need to be representative of the object and data in use, which typically means periodic updates and may well mean special treatment for specific database objects (I recently blogged about the fact that column statistics for density can be badly unrepresentative with default sampling for specific columns until 11.2 for example) . System statistics however should be representative of the hardware behaviour under load and so typically should probably only be recollected if the load or hardware changes significantly.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 5:03 AM, Subodh Deshpande <deshpande.subodh_at_gmail.com

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA