RE: maxextents

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 14:11:29 -0600 (CST)

> I am still confused by maxextents on a datafile and the more documentation
> and websites that I read the more confused that I get.

[snip]

> When I use OEM and try and set Maximum Size to Unlimited and hit apply, it
> doesn’t show up with the Unlimited bullet highlighted. Instead it shows up
> as Value=32767MB. Why is that? Is 32GB the largest a datafile is ever
> supposed to be?
>
> This is 11.1.0.7 on RHEL5.

Part of your confusion about MAXEXTENTS is that it shouldn't be needed/specified for your tablespaces in 11g. It's only for dictionary-managed TSs, and I can't think of a reason why one should use them in 11g:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28286/clauses009.htm#SQLRF30013

Also, 32GB is the largest a datafile with a blocksize of 8K can be. That's just a limitation. So a 300GB tablespace with a blocksize of 8K should have at least 10 datafiles. Bigfiles are one alternative, as are tablespaces with larger blocksizes, but please research those options well first.

HTH! GL! Rich