Re: Querying awr to hunt down source of sql executions

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_tanelpoder.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 18:31:15 +0200

V$SQL% views show the MODULE and ACTION of that session who *hard parsed* the query. And it's stored only once - for parent cursor and not for children.

So all subsequent executions of any child of that parent cursor will still show the original parsing session's module & action, regardless of what these attributes are for executing sessions....

ASH doesn't have that problem as it doesn't take the module/action from v$sql cursor but from executing session's attributes.

That's only one of the reasons... Another may be that recursive calls (Calling pl/sql from sql etc) may not set or clear their module/action and even sql_id attributes properly when context switching from SQL to PL/SQL and back... these are due to bugs or design limitations... and that's why there are some new columns like TOP_LEVEL_SQL_ID in addition to just SQL_ID to differentiate between the call which application made vs. something executed recursively...

P.S. To Exadata geeks out there - our book can be purchased as an Alpha/Draft PDF from Apress already!
http://blog.tanelpoder.com/2011/03/02/expert-oracle-exadata-book-alpha-chapters-available-for-purchase/

--
Tanel Poder
Oracle Troubleshooting Blog - http://blog.tanelpoder.com