RE: dbms_xplan + allstats

From: Stephens, Chris <Chris.Stephens_at_adm.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 15:14:44 -0600

Ha! Yeah, I waited. I've started to break the sql down and build it back up piece by piece to see where this starts.

I feel crazy. Luckily it is Friday and I have a fridge full of good beer waiting at home.

From: TJ Kiernan [mailto:tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com] Sent: Friday, February 25, 2011 3:11 PM
To: Stephens, Chris; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Cc: TJ Kiernan
Subject: RE: dbms_xplan + allstats

I have to ask...Did you wait until the query finished? You can't have actual rows until you have actual results to count.

If there's some bug in DBMS_XPLAN then I suppose the next option I would choose would be a 10053 trace so you'd know what the CBO is thinking.

Thanks,
T. J.

The information contained in this message is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity identified above. If the receiver of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to his/her e-mail address noted above and delete the original message, including any attachments. Thank you.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Stephens, Chris Sent: Friday, February 25, 2011 2:38 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: dbms_xplan + allstats

11.2.0.2 on RHEL

I'm working on some SQL that suffers from some horrible cardinality estimate problems due to dummy rows that screw up the columns stats.

Everything was going fine this morning but for some reason I can't get an execution plan to show me the a-rows now.

I've tried the /*+ gather_plan_stats */ hint.
I've tried "alter session set statistics_level=ALL"
I've tried "alter system set statistics_level=ALL"
I've even tried bouncing the database.

select * from table(dbms_xplan.display_cursor('&sql_id','&child_no','allstats')) /

....will not show me the a-rows. Anybody have an hints to help me out?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.