RE: powerpath, 11gr2, and ASM on sun Sparc

From: Amaral, Rui <Rui.Amaral_at_tdsecurities.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:36:38 -0500

the following note I think explains the issue a little:

Device Persistence and Oracle Linux ASMLib [ID 394959.1]

Read between the lines and you'll see that the issue of permissions across reboots goes both ways. I mentioned it in a previous thread that using something like udev or other tools like securepath and powerpath is more about assignment rather than persistence.

Good luck Andrew - I know what it's like.

Rui Amaral
Database Administrator
ITS - SSG
TD Bank Financial Group
220 Bay St., 11th Floor
Toronto, ON, CA, M5K1A2
(bb) (647) 204-9106

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Kerber Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:13 PM To: Harel Safra
Cc: litanli_at_gmail.com; ORACLE-L Subject: Re: powerpath, 11gr2, and ASM on sun Sparc

I mean until we somehow got our ASM header overwritten or corrupted, this was 11gR2.

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Harel Safra <harel.safra_at_gmail.com> wrote:

        Up to 11.1 (including) you needed the voting disks and OCR disks to be the same. In 11.2 you can store them in ASM so that's not needed. I've run many Linux servers with 10g RAC on them that only had the voting/OCR identical and the data disks different. I've also installed 11.2 cluster with no regard to disk order.

        What do you mean by "until we got asm headers stepped on"?

        Harel Safra

        On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com> wrote:

                Thats what I always thought too until we got asm headers stepped on. There are also many notes about how to map the drives using multipath so they show up in the same spot on both nodes. Just not much on Powerpath. So I suspect this business of reading the headers doesn't always work for some reason.

--
Andrew W. Kerber

NOTICE: Confidential message which may be privileged. Unauthorized use/disclosure prohibited. If received in error, please go to www.td.com/legal for instructions. AVIS : Message confidentiel dont le contenu peut être privilégié. Utilisation/divulgation interdites sans permission. Si reçu par erreur, prière d'aller au www.td.com/francais/avis_juridique pour des instructions. †Ûiÿü0ÁúÞzX¬¶Ê+ƒün– {ú+iÉ^ Received on Thu Feb 24 2011 - 13:36:38 CST

Original text of this message