Re: restore q from TSM

From: Vishal Gupta <vishal_at_vishalgupta.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 09:46:00 +0000

If backups are stored on tape in TSM, then even if you start restore of database to 5 machines, other sessions will have to wait as backup stored on tape are being restored by first session and first session is holding the tape. TSM does not allow more than one session to access the same tape ( tape being serial access medium) at any point in time. Though if TSM was using VTL (virtual tape library) which holds backups on disk on TSM server, then you could restore to multiple machines at the same time. Because disk is a random access drive unlike tape which are serial access drives.

Cheers,
Vishal