Re: Downloading media for RAC vm test environment

From: Martin Bach <development_at_the-playground.de>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 14:39:02 +0000

Good afternoon all,

I downloaded Oracle Linux 5.6 without problems on Saturday (UK). It's a 3.5g DVD image and it worked at first attempt.

Honestly, there is not a lot between Oracle Linux (no more enterprise in the name); you can even use Oracle's kernel with red hat (and suppose centos).

Martin

Martin Bach

Oracle Certified Master 10g
http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/martincarstenbach

  • Reply message ----- From: "Guillermo Alan Bort" <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com> Date: Mon, Feb 21, 2011 13:56 Subject: Downloading media for RAC vm test environment To: "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>

So... there I was, happily minding my business when my boss decided it was time I got something interesting. We are upgrading all the DBs to 11.2.0.2, so he gave me the task of setting up the DEV cluster (of course, we migrate DEV first, then QA and finally Prod... which is sensible).

Problem: I've never installed an 11.2 RAC! I did install an 11.1 back when 11.1.0.6 was released, but I never even applied 11.1.0.7 to it.

So, I say to myself (what a wonderful world!) "I know! I'll crate a VM (on my vmware server) and install an 11.2 RAC there... that's smart! that way I'll go into the dev installation knowing what I need"

on I go to attempt to download first the Oracle Enterprise Linux. Of course, it's not on edelivery... it on edelivery.oracle.com/linux... and I had to get there (the first time) from OTN.

Then I start downloading it (using firefox) and dTA fails with "server error" normal download results in a 0kb file... so I fire up chrome (still better than IE) and get the same... I star IE and get the same... so now I'm wondering... does this happen with every media pack? I'm downloading the RDBMS software from Metalink, since it's an out of place patch and I need to install 11.2.0.2 still... I don't have a linux to install on...

I might end up downloading CentOS... well played oracle... well played... Alan.-

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Feb 21 2011 - 08:39:02 CST

Original text of this message