Re: data guard questions

From: Marcin Przepiorowski <pioro1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 19:55:07 +0000

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 5:29 PM, ed lewis <eglewis71_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>     The plan is to create a  physical, and a logical standby.
> From what I understand, it's possible to have the primary
> database replicate to the physical standby, and then have
> the physical standby replicate  to the logical standby ?
> Is anyone doing this  ? Any pros and cons you can share ?

Hi,

First question - why do you want to have both ? logical and physical standby ? You can run into performance problems with logical standby especially during changes on big tables.
There are some workarounds but all of them are implementation specific.

If you need standby in R/W you can take a look on Real-time Apply feature (unfortunately additional licence is required).

>     I'm also looking at DG broker. We don't have plans to
> use fast failover. Would you recommend using the broker ?
> Pros, cons ?

Pros:
- integration with Grid Control
- switchover / failover from one point

Cons:
- two repositories of parameters - simple change in spfile can be overwritten by DG Broker settings
- this is another possible source of bugs - one more component to manage and monitor

--
Marcin Przepiorowski
http://oracleprof.blogspot.com