RE: data domain backups

From: Imtiaz Merchant <merchanti_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:38:19 -0500

We implemented Data Domain but the backup and restore times were terrible. The largest database is a 6.7TB DB that takes anywhere between 4 - 5 hrs for backup and 7-8 hrs to restore. Since this wasn't acceptable, we've implemented NetBackup in between with OST / Boost technology which puts the backup on to DataDomain. The backup times are now 2.5 hrs and restores are between 4-5 hrs max.

  • Imtiaz

Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:20:26 -0500
Subject: Re: data domain backups
From: ebrown2266_at_gmail.com
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Data Domain backups work very well We've been using rman incrementally updated backups as described here:

http://oraclestorageguy.typepad.com/oraclestorageguy/2010/05/data-domain-rman-incremental-backup-saves-space-and-time.html

We are able to do a full backup of a 1.2TB database in less than 30 minutes.

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Hi. We have recently gone to EMC Data Domain for our rman backups. They seem to be working fine, and our restore validation also worked fine. I am just curious if anyone has run into any problems/gotchas with data domain.

--
Andrew W. Kerber