Re: O/S Choice for Database Servers

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 19:10:44 -0300

Niall,

  You make good points and talk from a logical point of view. I talk from my experience alone, and it may very well be that I ran into crappy windows administrators and good unix administrators, but overall stability of the system has been always better on unix than on windows as far as my personal experience goes. This has biased me against windows as a server OS.

   On the other hand, I have similar experiences with HP-UX and have had more than enough problem with AIX, as well as some weird reactions from the CRS on linux. On the other hand, as it is far less common for people to be familiar with Unix and hardcore unix admins are usually very curious people, they tend to be better at their job. Again, this is my personal experience.

   And here I bring you to MS SQL Server. In itself it's not a bad RDBMS, it's actually quiet good, however it's amazing how many SQL Servers you find out there that are not properly configured and maintained. Now, I've found a few Oracle dbs like that, but far less than SQL Servers o MySQL (which I must admit have little to no experience with).

  I understand where your rant comes from, this kind of bias against an OS is uncharacteristic of this list, but please, try to understand where the bias comes from...

  Oh, and btw, the fact that Oracle released a patch for RedHat speaks to the openness of RedHat and not to the compatibility of Windows.

cheers
Alan.-