RE: data guard questions

From: CRISLER, JON A (ATTCORP) <"CRISLER,>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 18:23:27 -0500

I am not sure if the config A-primary > B-physical standby > C-Logical standby is supported.

However, this is supported

 A-primary > B-Physical standby

A-Primary > C-Logical l Standby                     (C could also be
server B too)

The end result is the same. Although I use different servers, I guess all on the same server could work as well but I have not tried that. The only difference in my proposed config is that there is some extra load on server A pushing to 2 standby db's.

Definitely use DG Broker, and if you have Grid Control available you can use that to config / manage Data Guard. The broker makes switchover testing easy and monitoring easy.

You definitely want 11.2.0.2 for both the Grid/CRS home and DB home. You can mix 11.2 Grid and 11.1 rdbms but it is a major pain and greatly complicates the setup.

Also on top of 11.2.0.2, watch out for the multicast bug which requires patch 9974223- I recommend you put it on anyhow. You can look for the multicast.pl test script as well but I have found inconsistent results with that test, so we always put on patch 9974223.

Watch out for TNS settings going wrong and causing broker config and startup issues. Set ORA_CRS_HOME=11.2.0.2, and run srvctl getenv database -d dbname to check.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of ed lewis Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 12:30 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: data guard questions

Hi,

    I'm getting ready to do a new install of

Dataguard. (Oracle 11.2.0, Solaris 10 64bit).

    The plan is to create a physical, and a logical standby.

From what I understand, it's possible to have the primary

database replicate to the physical standby, and then have

the physical standby replicate to the logical standby ?

Is anyone doing this ? Any pros and cons you can share ?

    I'm also looking at DG broker. We don't have plans to

use fast failover. Would you recommend using the broker ?

Pros, cons ?

    Your feedback is appreciated.

    ed