Re: Question about Oracle and DBA_DIRECTORIES

From: Thomas Day <tomdaytwo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 11:39:09 -0500

So I did a little research and found this (below) which is from the 10g SQL Reference. I suspect that the second paragraph under DIRECTORY should actually be under PATH_NAME. Oracle doesn't really check to see if the directory structure actually exists or is even valid under your OS. It's just a data string.

From the CMD line:
C:\Documents and Settings\tday>dir F:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db/ccr/state Parameter format not correct - "ccr".

C:\Documents and Settings\tday>dir F:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db/work Parameter format not correct - "work".

C:\Documents and Settings\tday>dir
F:\oracle\product\10.2.0/admin/starsdev/dpdum p/
Parameter format not correct - "min".

So I don't think that these are very valid even if some of them were created by Oracle supplied scripts.

*directory*

Specify the name of the directory object to be created. The maximum length of directory is 30 bytes. You cannot qualify a directory object with a schema name.

Oracle Database does not verify that the directory you specify actually exists. Therefore, take care that you specify a valid directory in your operating system. In addition, if your operating system uses case-sensitive path names, be sure you specify the directory in the correct format. You need not include a trailing slash at the end of the path name.

*path_name*

Specify the full path name of the operating system directory of the server where the files are located. The single quotes are required, with the result that the path name is case sensitive.