How much RAM is to much

From: Storey, Robert \(DCSO\) <"Storey,>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:02:36 -0600

So, I'm moving my 9i 32 bit database to a 10g 64 bit database. My 9i box has 4 gig of ram and the usual 23bit limitations. My SGA and such on the 9i box probably hovers around 1.2gig.

I have 24 gig of ram on the new box. From a data aspect, that will darn near load my entire database to memory.

So, in setting SGA_TARGET, how much is too much? Before I was told the box specs, I was thinking 3 gig. But, with 24 gig available, and I'm the ONLY application on the box....how much is to much?

What are the benefits and cons to setting this value at say, 12gig, with a SGA_MAX value of 15G.