Re: ORA-01666: control file is for a standby database

From: sundar mahadevan <sundarmahadevan82_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 17:20:26 -0500

Hi Hemant/David,
Thanks for your replies. I am using OracleŽ Data Guard Concepts and Administration 11.2 as a reference. After the complete recovery in mount mode, when i enter ALTER DATABASE RECOVER TO LOGICAL STANDBY <primary DBname>; I get ORA-16136: Managed Standby Recovery not active with ORA-00313/ORA-00312/ORA-27037 errors in alert log file complaining about missing redo logs. Can you please tell me when does the tempfiles and redologs get created. Am i missing anything on my parameters?

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 1:14 PM, David Barbour <david.barbour1_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> If you're objective is to first create a physical standby, you did okay
> through the backup process for the database, but NOT for the controlfile.
> Additionally you don't need to set dbid and recover, let RMAN do it for you.
>
> Check out the 9i RMAN users guide chapter 13 - Creating a Standby Database
> with RMAN. I KNOW it's 9i, but it's still the best basic primer on how to
> do this I've seen.
>
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/title.htm
>

> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:17 AM, sundar mahadevan <
> sundarmahadevan82_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> I would like to make my previous email short. I am trying to implement
>> logical standby. First I start off with creating a physical standby with
>> rman. After a complete recovery, do I open the database with noresetlogs or
>> with resetlogs? If I try to open the database with resetlogs, I get
>> ORA-01666: control file is for a standby database. On one mos note, it said
>> alter database open resetlogs would create the redo log files (After the
>> complete recovery, I do not have tempfile and redo logs created). According
>> to note 601835.1, the redo log errors can be safely ignored on physical
>> standby. So when do the redo logs get created ? What should I do now to
>> eliminate this error. Oracle support is taking too long to respond and i
>> need to get this working soon. Thanks a ton for all your help.
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 5:28 PM, sundar mahadevan <
>> sundarmahadevan82_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Group,
>>> Greetings. I am trying to setup a logical dataguard on 11.2.0.2 (SLES 11
>>> x86_64). Initially I am creating the physical standby with rman hot backup