Re: Just Curious

From: Rick Weiss <RWeiss_at_safmt.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 08:39:29 -0700

We recently were visited by an Oracle representative representing a newly created SMB (Small/Medium sized Business) sales group. They are trying to convince us that they (Oracle) want to work with the SMBs to bring in more of the Oracle stack. There was some implications of pricing flexibility, but of course nothing was concrete.

I haven't really figured out what they meant by it, but it was a quick two day trip through fly over country visiting us and another customer in Bozeman, MT (RightNow Technologies perhaps).

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar contacts from this group.

Rick Weiss
Oracle Database Administrator

Student Assistance Foundation
P.O.Box 203101
2500 Broadway
Helena, MT 59620-3101

rweiss_at_safmt.org
(406) 495-7356>>> Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com> 2/9/2011 8:30 AM >>> Thats hard to say, but they are definitely pricing themselves rather high if they intend to compete in the small to mid-size market.

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Peter Barnett <regdba_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

Curious question. I have attended two Oracle events recently promoting Exadata. These are high performance, expensive systems.

At the same time we have purchased applications requiring small to mid-sized databases. All are written for SQL Server only.

We only have one data warehouse. We have hundreds of other applications. Is Oracle giving up on the small to mid-size database space? They sure aren't talking about it in their marketing events and I am not seeing apps come in the door written to be either database agnostic or written for Oracle.

Pete Barnett
Database Technologies Lead
Regence

Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection. Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Andrew W. Kerber

This email and any files transmitted with may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. This message may contain confidential information and the contents of this email are strictly prohibited from being disseminated, distributed, printed or copied.

Student Assistance Foundation, 2500 Broadway, Helena, MT 59601 http://www.safmt.org

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Feb 09 2011 - 09:39:29 CST

Original text of this message