ORA-01666: control file is for a standby database

From: sundar mahadevan <sundarmahadevan82_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 17:28:01 -0500

Hi Group,
Greetings. I am trying to setup a logical dataguard on 11.2.0.2 (SLES 11 x86_64). Initially I am creating the physical standby with rman hot backup from primary. I followed the procedure from note *469493.1 *to create the physical standby. The following are the steps:

Connect to primary and crosscheck backup/archivelogs: delete expired backup and archivelogs
Connect to primary and take rman backup: command used for backup on primary:
run {
set command id to 'rman';
backup database plus archivelog;
sql 'alter system switch logfile';
backup archivelog from time 'sysdate -3/24'; backup current controlfile for standby;
}

Rman Restore Physical Standby Database:
startup nomount;
set dbid=2225084209
sql 'alter database mount standby database'; restore database;
exit

Find current redo log sequence on Primary Database: sqlplus / as sysdba
recover standby database ;
enter all archivelogs and the current redo log sequence from primary and finally i get Media recovery complete.
At this point I do not have tempfile/redo logs created but the redo logs missing error was reported as soon as i mounted the physical standby database with "sql 'alter database mount standby database'; before restore"

now do I open the database with reset logs or no resetlogs. If I try to open the database with noresetlogs, the tempfile gets created but not the redo logs. If I try to open the database with resetlogs, I get ORA-01666: control file is for a standby database. On one mos note, it said alter database open resetlogs would create the redo log files. According to note 601835.1, the redo log errors can be safely ignored on physical standby. So when do the redo logs get created when I go for a logical standby creation. What should I do now to eliminate this error. Oracle support is taking too long to respond and i need to get this working soon. Thanks a ton for all your help.