Re: Questions for a Jr. DBA

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 18:26:22 -0300

No, I have not. This thread took a far more interesting turn than I originally expected it to. I have a collection of questions (some of which I had to research a little bit to answer) both open and closed. I am compiling them, but it will take time, I will post them here when I'm done.

I guess it all comes down to what you mean by "Junior". I don't like the "X years of experience" approach, unless it's X years at the same big company working as service delivery (outsourcing or whatever). I myself and all the DBAs in the team check the documentation constantly and for almost everything. We do have a fair amount of scripts for different tasks, and then we have TOAD and EM to ease our jobs, but when it comes down to it we all could make it without these tools and just have the doc.

I know a few things I don't want in a DBA (Junior or otherwise), first of all he must not depend on any one tool to do his job. EM breaks, TOAD licenses run out, even notebooks crap out some times (if you step on them, for instance). Then I don't want someone who messes up and blames someone else... I've seen that happen and it breaks the team down the middle. Then, I don't want someone static. The workflow changes, the type of work changes, the applications change, the versions change, I want a dba that can adapt to what's needed of

So, I'd like to thank everyone for their answers, I found them all to be of help.

I would also like to leave this open for anyone else who wants to comment. I think this is turning into a very interesting discussion.

cheers
Alan.-