Clarification on rename dg command

From: Kumar Madduri <ksmadduri_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 09:48:23 -0800

Hi
I am thinking about different scenarios that need to be tested in our new linux infrastructure which will have 11gR2 GI and this will be supporting our 11gR1 databases.
One of the scenarios is some times to refresh a development instance from another development instance and I had this question

(a) db1 and db2 are two databases on the same box node1.
(b) db1 uses a diskgroup called db1_dg and db2 uses a diskgroup called
db2_dg
(c) Perform a bcv copy from db1_dg to db2_dg (of course db2_dg and the
associated database will be down during this time)
(d)At this point , he headers of the files/devices that make up db2_dg will
have information about db1_dg
(e) I cant bring up db2_dg unless I use the rename command and rename the
headers of db2_dg (from the ones pointing to db1_dg) to db2_dg. Questions are:

How can I accomplish this using rename command renamedg phase=both dgname=db1_dg newdgname=db2_dg If I use this, I am afraid that I will wipe out the source.

Thank you
Kumar