Re: unix Ksh script variable

From: De DBA <dedba_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 18:43:28 +1000

Hi Niall,

I think that the "secure external password store feature", which is what I alluded to, is free to use based on this paragraph in the 11g Licensing Information guide, page 1-9 (my underscoring):

    *Oracle Wallet*
    An Oracle Wallet is a PKCS#12 container used to store authentication     and encryption
    keys. _The database secure external password store feature stores     passwords in an
    Oracle Wallet for authentication to the Oracle database._ Oracle     Advanced Security uses
    the Oracle Wallet to store credentials for PKI authentication to the     Oracle database,
    network encryption, and transparent data encryption. Oracle Wallet     Manager is an
    application that wallet owners can use to manage and edit Oracle     wallets. _Oracle
    Wallets can be deployed on clients, middle tiers, and database     servers free of charge._

    However, the following features that use an Oracle Wallet in turn     require licensing of
    the Oracle Advanced Security Option: PKI credentials for     authentication to Oracle
    Database, network encryption (SSL/TLS) to the Oracle database from     middle tiers and
    database clients, and transparent data encryption master keys.     Oracle Advanced
    Security option is not required when configuring wallets to secure     communication
    between the Oracle database and Oracle Internet Directory as part of     the enterprise
    user security feature of Oracle Database

Of course I may misinterpret this piece of legalistic prose. English never was my forte... :)

Cheers,
Tony