Storage cache impact

From: <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_seb.lt>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 16:43:59 +0200

Hi

I have a question which may be regarded not a practical one but still...

When assesing SQL it is nice to know the worst time it will take to execute.

This is the reason one can flush buffer cache of a database.

But what about storage cache?

Anyone tried to estimate DB performance with cold and hot SAN-storage cache ?

How does storage cache help database ? For example, currently my total DB cache (accross all db's servers using the same SAN) is way larger than SAN cache.
My understanding is that in such a situation SAN cache helps mainly SAN itself ( like caching RAID5 writes, etc ) but it can not effectively cache database data.

Any commenst are wellcomed.

Thank you in advance, Laimis N

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Feb 01 2011 - 08:43:59 CST

Original text of this message