flashback traffic still getting generated after 'alter tablespace flashback off'

From: Dan Peacock <danp_at_autowares.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 09:56:01 -0500

I may be misunderstanding something here, but I was under the impression based on what I've read that if you want to exclude objects from being flashbackable then you would put them in a tablespace that has that has that turned off. I've got two tables that I pull from another source each day that I don't care if I can flash them back to a prior state, so I want to reduce the load on the flahsback area an exclude them. To test this out, I created a tablespace in one of my test instances that had the flashback setting turned off (i.e., ALTER TABLESPACE MMEY_NOFLASH FLASHBACK OFF). When I moved the table in question, the amount of space in the flashback area didn't change (it's a 2.5GB table), so I figured I was golden. However, I'm running the process that processes the changes (I insert new records and delete and readd changed records) and I'm experiencing the same level of flashback file generation that I am seeing on the flashbackable table in production. What gives? What am I missing?

Database version = 11.2.0.1 (with a few interim patches applied) OS version = Linux RHEL 64-bit

--

Dan Peacock
Enterprise Data Architect

Dare something great