RE: SQLPLUS training, why?

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 14:01:40 -0500

Humm, forgot about PL/SQL. Could not live a day without it. Remember when we use to use sql to create sql command files? Well, same thing works, a lot better, through an anonymous pl/sql block.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA

From: Don Seiler [mailto:don_at_seiler.us] Sent: Monday, December 27, 2010 12:03 PM To: Goulet, Richard
Cc: Taylor, Chris David; gabriel.aragon_at_ge.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: SQLPLUS training, why?

When I started my new job 2 years ago, I made it a point to use sqlplus for everything that I could, to break my dependency on TOAD and TORA and the like. I've learned so much doing so, it's the best decision I've ever made. Learning about the important V$ views to query for different problems, rather than seeing only what a specific GUI screen will show you, learning PL/SQL, etc. Plus formatting etc, I would definitely recommend using sqlplus for automated reports as much as possible.

Don.

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com> wrote:

        Chris,

            Well, I suppose that term really does need definition because it really does change by what your doing. Yes I do learn something new about SQL just about daily, especially with the duhvelopers we have around here. There are quite a few who should enter the "Obfuscated SQL" contest. Had a "problem" sql statement handed to me the other day. 157 lines of code, 8 sub queries, 12 dynamic view definitions, and 2 partition by clauses only to find what the max(last_trial_date) was in a particular table for a particular trial. And to boot the script had a number of defines, breaks, new_column and no print statements included. Boy was that ever fun???

            So back to the original question, mastery to me means that you can read 90% of the sql your handed and make sense out of it and that you can repair, create, or diagnose a database without the help of a GUI because you may not have access to one. For the remainder I'd expect the individual to have a good understanding of where in the documentation he/she can find what they need and understand it. Why the docs you say. because you may or may not have access to the net when you most need it. Many years ago I was faced with a broken database, a VT100 terminal directly attached to the server, an no external network connectivity. Thank GOD for Palm Pilots.

	Dick Goulet
	Senior Oracle DBA