RE: SQLPLUS training, why?

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 13:58:05 -0500

One thing I've seen way to many times and with too much anguish thereafter, is people forgetting where they are logged into, especially when using multiple SQL*Plus sessions. I've preached and preached tuill I'm blue in the face about changing the sql prompt (a SQL*Plus thing) to tell you what database and user your logged into. It's so darn simple, prevents so many mistakes, and yet too many folks don't like doing this. In the login.sql file set:

break on server_name on user
column global_name noprint new_value _sn column user noprint new_value _usser
select nvl(substr(global_name,1,instr(global_name,'.',1)-1), global_name) as global_name, user
from global_name;
set verify off
set sqlprompt '&_sn:&_usser>'

Now at least if you look you'll see when your on the production db and the master schema before you run that drop everything script that was needed on development.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of coskan_at_gmail.com Sent: Monday, December 27, 2010 1:12 PM
Cc: Oracle L
Subject: Re: SQLPLUS training, why?

If I do the same course I would only say you will need it when there is cto cio csomething behind you while your db is in trouble and not accessable via gui. Apart from that it is always about speed and reliability. I saw oem running like a dog which is impossible to work on, I saw toad crash in the middle of my work however I never saw sqlplus very slow or died unexpectedly (even on windows client which is miracle)

Also show them the output of login script of tanel poder and if they don't like it then there is nothing you can do :)

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> Sender: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 09:25:09 -0800
To: <TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com>
ReplyTo: jkstill_at_gmail.com
Cc: <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>; <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: SQLPLUS training, why?

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 8:10 AM, <TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com> wrote:

        How about, because you can't always do things via the GUI. Take for example if you only ever do things thru OEM and its down, now what? You mean you can't resize a datafile via an alter database command, you're a GUI DBA? :)

Also known as DBA 2.0

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com