Re: SQLPLUS training, why?

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 12:08:27 -0300

In a training session my approach would be somewhat different.

ask the attendees:

1. What do you think SQL*Plus is?
2. What can you do with SQL*Plus?
3. What tools do you currently use for your day-to-day tasks?
4. Do you think that knowing SQL*Plus would in some way improve your
productivity? <--- or perhaps: do you think that knowing SQL*Plus would allow you to do things faster and give you time to check facebook?

After you get a few answers, take them and shape them into an argument FOR sql*plus. And specially after the first two questions, take a few minutes to demonstrate what YOU can do with sql*plus (some quick formatting, perhaps something in the login.sql file as well) and show them how with very few lines you can transform the ugly output into something you could even paste into a presentation for Management.

I have taught my fair share of oracle trainings, and have found the best results when I adapted the contents somewhat to the audience. Granted, as a OU trainer you can't change the contents of a course, but you can emphasize one more than the other, take more time for a given chapter and then fast-forward through another.

HTH
Alan.-