Re: SQLPLUS training, why?

From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 08:14:20 +0100

Oh, and perhaps one other piece of advice I personally would pass along to junior DBAs...

Start using sql*plus as much as you can, and write your own set of scripts for it. Because in doing so you will learn a lot that you would never learn simply by clicking GUI buttons or by using some other scripts downloaded over the internet.

What are you going to do if that GUI tool doesn't show you the data in a way you need it? If you've written the scripts yourself you implicitly gain knowledge about the source of the data you're looking at. Where it comes from, what it's linked to, how consistent it is, what it really means, etc. And it will be easy to present the data in another way, as you have a much better understanding of the data you're looking at.

Stefan

Stefan P Knecht
CEO & Founder
s_at_10046.ch