Re: creative use of storage snapshots.

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 22:58:24 +1100

Works like a charm, been doing it for nearly 2 years now with our DW.

Things to watch out for:
- the snapshot dbs are not full-on production ones, they have to be strictly for development/testing purposes.
- if the gap between the snapshot and the original gets too big, the subsequent resynchs can take quite a long time. Work on the basis of number of blocks changed: the more, the slower the catch up will be.

There are a number of technologies that can reduce the overhead of the first copy of each changed block of the snapshot. Netapp has an interesting mechanism that reduces the overhead to a single write operation, EMC is more of a read/compare/write proposition.

Worth re-stating: no one runs production on a snapshot, so whichever technology you use don't expect miracles. Once the expectation is set right, the technology works like a charm and is eminently suitable to the "refresh/test" cycle of development environments. It makes all those refreshes a matter of minutes, rather than hours on end.

We're planning to expand this approach to all dbs: MSSQL and Oracle, once we finally decide on our new hardware platform. Coming up in a couple of months. We're expecting huge reductions in volume for multiple Peoplesoft HR, ERP and CRM environments, where everyone seems to need a copy of the entire database to test a single invoice...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto