Re: creative use of storage snapshots.

From: Marcin Przepiorowski <pioro1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 12:31:28 +0000

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> like it addresses similar issues in a similar way. Is anyone out there doing
> something similar - it sounds to me like one of those great ideas that have
> a huge gotcha that I can't think of right now.

Hi Niall,

I don't have similar solution but I remember some discussion with my colleague who has it in place.
He mentioned about two issues:

  • initial overhead just after snapshot when your primary DB write to block and this block has to be copied into snapshot area.
  • read overhead - all clones are using this same unchanged disk block as primary database

If you can't limit number of IOPS from clones it can become a potential bottleneck.

--
Marcin Przepiorowski
http://oracleprof.blogspot.com