Re: Books for beginner - learning PL/SQL and/or APEX

From: Martin Bach <development_at_the-playground.de>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 08:13:54 +0000

Hi all,

I'm just now starting to look at APEX, literally 3 days ago. So far I haven't done anything fancy, but exploring the interface it seems you ought to know about web 2.0 technology as well. What I found is that books can't keep up with the pace of product development. APEX 4 is current, but I found previous little printed information about it. Looking at the documentation is probably your best starting point, at least it was for me.

Martin Bach

Oracle Certified Master 10g
http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/martincarstenbach

  • Reply message ----- From: "Jared Still" <jkstill_at_gmail.com> Date: Thu, Dec 16, 2010 23:19 Subject: Books for beginner - learning PL/SQL and/or APEX To: <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com> Cc: "oracle-l" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> We have a need to write some internal applications quickly and no
> development resources available for at least 6 months and I have been tasked
> with doing the initial apps (I'm the lead DBA). I have read and heard that
> APEX could be the right tool for us and we already have it licensed with our
> database. (10gR2). Can anyone recommend books for learning PL/SQL and/or
> APEX? I can write a pretty decent SQL statement but have never really done
> anything with PL/SQL. My junior DBA struggles at times with basic SQL
> statements so I'm really in need of good books for beginners. Is the Oracle
> documentation sufficient in your opinion?
>
> Thank for your suggestions.

I can't vouch for this particular version of Feuerstein's PL/SQL book, but previous
versions have been tremendously helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/Oracle-PL-SQL-Programming-Versions/dp/0596514468

If you're not new to programming in general, the documentation may be sufficient.

For techniques and the right way to do things:

http://www.amazon.com/Expert-Oracle-Database-Architecture-Programming/dp/1430229462 http://www.amazon.com/Expert-Oracle-Database-Architecture-Programming/dp/1590595300

For Apex: No idea, I've only dabbled with Apex enough to know it will take a serious investment in time to be somewhat proficient with it.

Regardless of what Oracle may say, Apex is not a tool for beginners IMO.

But then again, application development is not a simple task regardless of how you go about it.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com