Re: Does Oracle keep a history of which blocks are/were loaded into the buffer cache?

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 11:26:42 -0600

One idea would be to take a few snapshots of x$bh yourself to compare over time. I've actually done this myself with very informative results. Of course you need to be careful about the impact. I don't really know otherwise, so I just assume that querying v$bh is somewhat expensive in latches and such. But that being said, I sometimes find that the value of the information outweighs the temporary overhead.

One relatively cheap tool I like is called Lab128, and it has a useful "buffer explorer" which allows you to visualize the buffer nicely. One thing I've done (not especially elegant) is just take a handful of screenshots of this window at different points in time, to compare... http://www.lab128.com/lab128_screens3.html

-Jeremy

--
http://www.ardentperf.com
+1 312-725-9249