Re: RMAN duplicate can't find backup piece with ORA-15012

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 14:54:07 -0800 (PST)

It's not easy for me to explain. As I said, this form throws ORA-15012 (ASM file does not exist):

. oraenv
targetdb
rman target / catalog rman_at_catdb auxiliary sys/xxx_at_davidh

even though in the same rman session, "validate backupset", "crosscheck backup", "list backup", find the backup piece.

This form, as Oracle analyst suggested to "avoid listener interference", works:

. oraenv
davidh
rman target sys/xxxx_at_targetdb catalog rman_at_catdb auxiliary /

I thought it must be due to misconfigured listener. But lsnrctl service (or status) | grep davidh shows the service fine. sqlplus sys/xxx_at_davidh as sysdba also works. listener.ora is modified the same as on the server I previously did duplicate.

There's no change in "environment" setting, nor change in initdavidh.ora. ASM v$asm_client starts to show davidh as a client (as I keep checking it) after the auxliary channels are created in the second form above, i.e.:

Starting restore at 20101213 15:53:47
using channel ORA_AUX_SBT_TAPE_1
using channel ORA_AUX_DISK_1

So consider its appearance in v$asm_client as effect, not cause.

I got a lengthy rman debug log for the failed session. But I can't find the *cause* of the problem by reading it.

Yong Huang