Re: DBA_VIEWS interactive reference available from OTN

From: Jenny Tsai-Smith <jenny.tsai_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 11:37:33 -0800

Hello, Rich, Brandon, Jared, Jack,

Thank you for the feedback on the Oracle Database 11g: Interactive Quick Reference (IQR) that my team produced. At this point in time, it is by no means a replacement for the reference guide in the product documentation library.

However, the IQR does have some things the documentation doesn't include:

  • an architecture diagram of the key processes, memory structures, and files
  • a categorization of the background processes, plus which ones are started by default, which ones are required, and which ones are new (the background processes table in the documentation <http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17110/bgprocesses.htm#sthref4453> doesn't include all of this info)
  • the DBA views, and the RAC-related V$ views, are categorized

We have also posted a SWF version of the IQR (click here for download page
<http://www.oracle.com/go/?&Src=7027600&Act=54&pcode=WWOU10044054MPP047>) so that Mac OS and Linux users don't have to use the .EXE version. We did consider creating the IQR using HTML5+CSS3, but we did not have the resources or time right now. This first version of the IQR was not actually funded -- all of it was done on "spare" cycles.

There were many features (such as searchability, sortable tables, covering all of the V$ views, an ERD of the DBA and V$ views, easier / more intuitive navigation, etc.) that we just did not have the time to get to in this initial proof-of-concept release. With this first attempt, we were just trying to take what was included in the printed Oracle data dictionary posters, and add a little more info, but deliver it digitally.

I have added your feedback to our enhancements list for the DB 12.1 version of the IQR. Thanks again for taking the time to provide feedback.

Cheers,
Jenny

Oracle Email Signature Logo
Jenny Tsai-Smith <mailto:jenny.tsai_at_oracle.com> | Senior Director | 650.506.4661 | 650.743.8272
Oracle Server Technologies Curriculum Development <http://otn.oracle.com/obe>
400 Oracle Parkway, 4OP1088 | Redwood Shores, CA 94065