RE: use external table to read alert log

From: Lei Zeng <lzeng_at_yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 18:11:27 -0800

Alert log is just one use case. I am considering the use case of other large files which need to keep the line order in the way like alert log.

Thanks,
Lei

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Hemant K Chitale Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 4:02 PM To: Lei Zeng
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: use external table to read alert log

How large is the alert.log that you consider using parallel query ?

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com
sent from my smartphone
On Dec 9, 2010 7:04 AM, "Lei Zeng" <lzeng_at_yahoo-inc.com<mailto:lzeng_at_yahoo-inc.com>> wrote: Hi:

I have read few notes about using external table to read alert log. http://proracle.wordpress.com/how-to-read-oracle-alert-log-file-using-external-table/

My question is: is it guaranteed that the line number in the file will be kept the same as rownum in the table? I am wondering if I use parallel option to read a file, the sequence of lines in the file will be kept? If no, is there other option to accomplish that?

Thanks,
Lei