Re: Is my Oracle Server issuing more IO than it can handle

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 14:36:39 -0600 (CST)

> For the first question: your storage vendor should give you this number.

I wouldn't rely on that number at all, as it's highly dependent on factors external to the SAN, most notably what's attached to it and how each is configured. Slower CPUs with slower IO cards cannot generate as many IO requests as faster CPUs and/or faster IO cards.

The only way to be sure (is to nuke the site from orbit!) is to test it yourself with your own equipment.

> For the second question: You didn't mention you OS. In Linux/Unix you'd
> use iostat or something fancier if it's installed. In windows you'd use
> perfmon.

I may have missed a response or three, but I don't think anyone's mentioned to ask if the filesystem is set for caching or DIO, as well as the asynchronous setting.

Rich