Re: Laptop for Lots of VMs

From: Martin Bach <development_at_the-playground.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 17:57:19 +0000

If money didn't matter I would buy a ThinkPad x201s with 8gb of memory. I think it comes with an esata port as well.

Didn't see any laptop with more memory anywhere.

I am using an alternative: a hosted server with a core i7 920, 1.5tb raid 1 and 24g of memory. Accessible via ssh from pretty much everywhere and running opensuse 11.2 and a xen hypervisor. All for 89 euro per month :)

Martin Bach

Oracle Certified Master 10g
http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/martincarstenbach

  • Reply message ----- From: "Amaral, Rui" <Rui.Amaral_at_tdsecurities.com> Date: Wed, Nov 24, 2010 17:16 Subject: Laptop for Lots of VMs To: "'andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com'" <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>, "vishal_at_vishalgupta.com" <vishal_at_vishalgupta.com> Cc: "oracle-l_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>

I have a couple of Toshiba's Qosmio X500 with 64bit.

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=1&group=1&product=9652&part=10970#spectop

the spec says 1 tb hard drive but mine is 1.5TB on 2 disks.

eSATA combo port

Rui Amaral
Database Administrator
ITS - SSG
TD Bank Financial Group
220 Bay St., 11th Floor
Toronto, ON, CA, M5K1A2
(bb) (647) 204-9106

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Kerber Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:03 PM To: vishal_at_vishalgupta.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Laptop for Lots of VMs

I have a Dell XPS M1330 configured close to this. 8G RAM. With SSD. You might be able to find one with an ESATA connecter that would help the external drive speed.

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Vishal Gupta <vishal_at_vishalgupta.com<mailto:vishal_at_vishalgupta.com>> wrote: Hello List,

I currently have a home desktop, which I used for running my all VMs on VmWare Server. It good enough configuration to run 3-4 or more VMs at the same time. I have two internal hard disks on desktop. To get decent enough performance from VMs, I tend to run VMs on separate disk than the host disk.

But many times, I have left in situation where I don't have access to my small home virtual data centre. So I was looking for a powerful but lightweight laptop for this purpose. Ideally I would love to have VMs on separate disk. But laptop normally don't have enough room for 2 internal disks. And running VMs on external disk over USB2.0 (_at_480Mbps i.e. about 5 times slower than eSATA drives) will give a dreaded performance. USB3.0 (@5Gbps twice as fast as eSATA) would be good enough. But not many laptops support it yet.

Does anyone has any laptop recommendation for this purpose? I had MacBook Pro with 8GB + SSD hard disk in mind. It would cost about £2000 (inc VAT) in UK. Does anyone has any experiences to share of using MacBookPro to run multiple VMs?

Desktop Configuration
CPU - Intel Core i7-920 (64bit) - single socket with 4 cores, 8 threads RAM - 6GB
Disk - Two internal 750GB each SATA-300 (_at_2400Mbps) drives , 1 external 2TB eSATA (_at_2400Mbps) drive.

Disk 1 - (internal) Host OS and other stuff
Disk 2 - (internal) Reserved for running only VMs
Disk 3 - (eSATA _at_2400Mbps ) Used
Disk 4 - USB 2.0 (_at_

Devices Speeds link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bandwidths#Storage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i7#Processor_cores

Regards,
Vishal Gupta
http://www.vishalgupta.com

--

Andrew W. Kerber

NOTICE: Confidential message which may be privileged. Unauthorized use/disclosure prohibited. If received in error, please go to www.td.com/legal for instructions. AVIS : Message confidentiel dont le contenu peut être privilégié. Utilisation/divulgation interdites sans permission. Si reçu par erreur, prière d'aller au www.td.com/francais/avis_juridique pour des instructions.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Nov 24 2010 - 11:57:19 CST

Original text of this message