Re: 11g Standby testing

From: Paul McManus <Paul.McManus_at_maxima.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 10:46:27 -0000

> Plat 11.2g Linux RH 64 Bit
>
> We want to test our standby database
>
>We have two entries in a tnsnames.ora on a box that requires database
>connectivity.
>If the listener/db is up on the primary even though we have switched over to
>the standby
>we get "Oracle Shutdown or Initialisation in progress." So the tns is still
>allowing us to connect to
>the now 'failed' primary
>Do we have to shutdown the listener on the failed primary?

You do not want to shutdown the Listener on the new Standby as it would affect the Log Shipping and FAL processes - assuming you want the logs to ship across from New Primary to new Standby during your testing that is.

"Usually" you have a single TNSNAMES entry that can handle Client Failover between Primary and Standby - no-one should be connecting to Standby unless it is in read only mode, or for backup purposes or if you are using Active Data Guard

Client Failover is easier in 11gR2 as there is no need to create DB triggers to handle the service name switch during a Role change that made Failover seamless in previous versions (from what I have read)

Paul McManus

Consultant DBA
Support Enablement Services
www.maxima.co.uk <http://www.maxima.co.uk/> Support Desk : +44 (0)870 600 6543
Direct Dial: +44 (0)118 923 5184
Mobile: +44 (0)7887 944282
Email: paul.mcmanus_at_maxima.co.uk <mailto:paul.mcmanus_at_maxima.co.uk>

more than just IT
1st Floor
Park View 1230
Arlington Business Park
Theale
Berkshire
RG7 4SA

_DISCLAIMER: This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("the intended recipient(s)") to whom it is addressed.

It may contain information which is privileged, proprietary and/or confidential within the meaning of applicable law.

If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender of this message as soon as possible.

The views or opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and may not necessarily be the views held by Maxima Holdings plc. Maxima Holdings plc. Cotswold Court, Lansdown Road, Cheltenham, Glos, GL50 2JA. Registered in England. 5043538. VAT Number - 728778184

This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System. For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email