Re: 11.2.0.2: Why is the local listener listening on public ip?

From: Jozsef Horvath <horvathjozsef_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 16:09:47 +0000

Hi,

Interesting enought that I have just had a conversation with colleagues about this a couple of days ago.
Briefly: (extracted from Oracle Metalink note 220970.1) "Why does netca always creates the listener which listens to public ip and not VIP only? This is for backward compatibility with existing clients: consider pre-10g to 10g server upgrade. If we made upgraded listener to only listen on VIP, then clients that didn't upgrade will not be able to reach this listener anymore. "

Hope this helps.
--Jozsef