RE: database activity when mounted

From: Josh Collier <Josh.Collier_at_banfield.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:19:30 -0700

No responses.

I have not tried an os trace. That is a good idea.

Let me ask you this.

Do you know of any other way besides fuser to detect activity on a volume?

From: Hemant Chitale [mailto:hemantkchitale_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 1:38 AM To: Josh Collier
Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: database activity when mounted

Did you get any responses? Have you done an OS trace of DBWR?

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com
sent from my smartphone
On Nov 2, 2010 6:48 AM, "Josh Collier" <Josh.Collier_at_banfield.net<mailto:Josh.Collier_at_banfield.net>> wrote: I have a question for you.

What would cause activity on a filesystem that contains only datafiles when the database is mounted?

My database is segregated so that control and redo files are isolated from datafiles and tempfiles.

Normally what I expect is this

  1. Database is in mounted state
  2. Ckpt process is active on the mount that contains the control files
  3. Lgwr process is active on the mount that contains the redo logs
  4. Dbw0 process is active on the mount that contains the control and redo logs.

Fuser -cu shows this activity.

However, very rapidly the dwb0 process will appear in the mounts that contain only datafiles. This is messing me up as I am trying to unmount them. I have been running the fuser every 2 seconds to a log and capture the DWB0 process doing something on these mounts. The tool I am using expects these devices to be able to be unmounted.