RE: "Long" hostnames, Oracle 9+10 and HP-UX

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 15:55:04 -0400

Uwe,

        Our host names are something like 'US-BOS-DB999.na.pxl.int' which obviously exceeds the 8 character limit so they end up as US-BOS-D which doesn't help much. The Ops folks came up with an idea to reverse the name as in 'DB999-BOS-US.NA.PXL.INT'. Ok, so it gets truncated to 'DB999-BO', but it does pass along more information.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA